Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

Maxima: I have an issue with my 07 Nissan Maxima. Won't turn

Customer Question

I have an issue with my 07 Nissan Maxima. Won't turn over and start. Battery good and start checked and good. All lights and electronics are functional.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Does the starter solenoid and/or starter relay click when you turn the key to start?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
before I forget, here is the wiring diagram.If you can remove the starter relay, go ahead and remove it and test for voltage in the socket. 2 spots should be hot when the key is turned to start with the transmission in park. If so, try a new relay. If not, check or replace that fusible link M in the fuse box.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, sorry for the late response. I finally took it to my mechanic. It ended up being the starter. He hammered it a few solid times and it started. He then replaced the starter. I just don't understand how I take it to Autozone and they check it in their machine and it passed several times.Thanks again,
Rick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The starter is getting stuck to the teeth on the flywheel. Shim it if you can and move the teeth further apart, but I believe your mechanic already did that. When you remove a starter and have it bench tested, they can only test the starter motor itself and not the fit with the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh.. Got it thanks.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
ok