Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Altima: . I have a Nissan Altima 2011 and the car won't

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Nissan Altima 2011 and the car won't start sometimes. I have to pump the brake fast and push the ignition button real quick in order for it to start. When it does start the brake light and the vdc light stays on and I can't turn the vdc light off. Also my mechanic tried a new starter, changed and switched the relays, changed the ignition switch and changed the brake light switch that I bought from Autozone. When the car doesn't start the lights, the radio and the air will come on. Any suggestions of the problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! How often would you say this happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens everyday. Sometimes the car will start right away but sometimes it won't and I have to pump the brake real fast and push the ignition button real fast until it starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like it happens more in the heat. I live in Arizona.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Can you do me a favor, I would like you to see if the brake lights are coming on when it doesn't start. Try placing a garbage pale or something behind the car to reflect the brake lights. I know you said you had a brake switch replaced, I am wondering if it's adjusted right. The tapping on the pedal to get it to start is a indication of a brake switch issue. Let me know if you can do this and let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure give me a minute.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they come on when I press the brake pedal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way every part that didn't work my mechanic took back off.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
interesting.. Any chance you can take a video clip of what it's doing so I can see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I send it to you? I'm not very technically savvy. Lol.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well, If you can take a video, and then upload it to You Tube so I can see, that is one way. I would like to see what you have to do to start the car. That could help me to determine what is going on.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If your not that Techy, do you know someone who can help you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok give me a minute
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Take your time..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok my upload is pending on you tube.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It might take awhile. It says 70 min. pending.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok my video is ready to look at. It's under my nissan altima 2011.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jay? Did you get a look at my video yet?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Can you copy and paste the link back here for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My nissan altima 2011: https://youtu.be/d6c8tJwa5jMThere is the link.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the video.. I noticed that the starter would start to engage, and because you keep pressing the start button it stops.. Can you make a video again trying to start the car where you step on the brake and press the start button. Wait like 3 seconds between each attempt. I want to hear the starter operation. By you hitting the start button the way you are doing it in the video, you are killing it's cycle. I want to hear what it does with out constantly hitting the button. I will be online later this evening around 6 or 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm. Sorry, I was not online yesterday. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I can tell you you will hear nothing or you will hear a clicking sound sometimes. That's why I first thought it was the starter, but after my mechanic put it in the car it still wouldn't start.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Single click when you try to start it? That is a sign of a starter if your getting single clicks. I recently had a Question where a guy had a brand new starter installed and the car would still not start. I did a couple checks with him and based on the checks, I told him it was a starter and what to do. After following my steps, he replaced the starter and it resolved is issue. So don't always believe that a new starter won't work. It has be come fairly common when they are brought at auto parts stores. Here is a link to the question if you would like to review it. http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-infiniti/97mtp-infiniti-g35-when-turn-key-nothing-happens-reference.html It sounds like it could be a starter for you also. Did you take it back to the mechanic who put the starter in to have them check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I returned it but I doubt they checked it. I bought it used from a restored parts place called Arizona Auto Parts. It came with a warranty also. So you think there was something wrong with the starter? Maybe I should buy a new one. I'm a single mother with a girl in college so I don't have a lot of money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and the mechanic I see works out of his house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried to start it again and the lights, air and radio comes on but not the car. Also I hear clicks in between the times I start the car.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Are you trying to start it like the video?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm starting it like you said, three seconds apart, once at a time.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting a single click or multiple clicking when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Multiple clicks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
do you have someone who can help you try to jump starting the car? I want to see if it starts up with no problems when jumper cables are hooked up? Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try to find someone. But when I took the car to Auto Zone, they said there was nothing wrong with the battery or the alternator.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I don't trust there tests. To many times I have seen it wrong.
Let me know when you have been able to try it.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay. I'll have someone jump my car tomorrow morning. If it doesn't start then what?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you can, I would like a video to see what the car does when you attempt to start it and wait 3 to 5 seconds between starting. I am sure if I see what it is doing, I can give you the proper direction on what needs to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll get it done as soon as I can. You will have it tonight.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. I will be online till around 10 or 11 pm EST.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Still waiting.
Do you still need help with this?