Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

X trail: good morning Dan I have just tried to start the

Customer Question

good morning Dan
I have just tried to start the car and the battery light ( Red) and MIL Light have come on. What can I do ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello First verify the charge light works, the Pink wire at the alternator should have voltage with the key on and the alternator unplugged and then the voltage regulator built inside the alternator should ground the Pink wire to illuminate the charge light bulb. If there is no voltage at the Pink wire, then check for a broken wire and charge light issue. If the light circuit is OK, then verify the Sky Blue wire has battery voltage and the Large Black/Red wire from the 140 amp fuse is good and there is no voltage drop. Also verify the alternator has a good ground. The Yellow wire is a control wire from the IPDM and the Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors a current flow sensor on the battery cable and can tell the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM) to limit charging voltage. If the Yellow wire is removed from the alternator, then the voltage regulator is designed to let the alternator charge normally. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.