Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Torrent: I have a 1006 Pontiac torrent that keeps running hot.

Customer Question

I have a 1006 Pontiac torrent that keeps running hot. can you help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan. Has anything been replaced? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing except the radiator cap

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does it overheat both while going down the road and at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will sit in the shop and run for a couple of hours, sometimes it does fine and then sometimes it will slowly start pushing the water out of the bottle and soon after it starts running hot. But, going down the road, it will be doing fine and then all of a sudden the hand will start rising and within a minute or two it's up to the H. Just so you know, the fans work fine. The slow one comes on like it should. As it gets hotter, then the other one comes on full blast. Also, I thought maybe the ac might have something to do with this. But it doesn't seem to. It does the same weather it's on or off.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Considering it can go awhile without overheating I'd start by replacing thermostat. If that doesn't help do a chemical test to check for exhaust gas in coolant which would indicate head gaskets are leaking. These engines are known for head gasket problems but since problem can be intermittent that points more toward thermostat. Let me know it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I take it you didn't read the thing at the beginning when I ask the question. It ask what have you tried. I explained all the things that I've done and that was part of it. I've replaced the thermostat twice. And right now, I don't even have a thermostat in it. I have also checked it for gasses in the water 3 times. I also did a pressure test, a vacuum test on it and a compression test. All is good

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
They have a new format going on so it doesn't show the things you typed in beginning. That is strange, it sounds like you have done everything I would mention. It sounds like a head gasket problem but if tests are coming up good I wouldn't want to just replace them. I'll open question up to see if someone else has some ideas. Thanks.