Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Fontier: i have 2000 nissan frontier 3.3 its getting oil into

Customer Question

i have 2000 nissan frontier 3.3 its getting oil into the water. the head gaskets were change 3 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Where are you seeing the water in the oil? In the Radiator? or the Engine Oil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the radiator and the engine oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am seeing oil in the water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Head gaskets were changed 2 to 3 months ago and I am still getting oil in my water.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Is this a Automatic Transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes its a automatic transmissions
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Has the automatic trans fluid been checked to see if maybe the trans cooler has failed and that oil is actually transmission fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like oil to me.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I know, It may look like oil. But it's more common for the trans cooler to fail to cause this type of mixture verses a head gasket. When you had the head gaskets done, where the heads sent out to a machine shop to be checked?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how to check your trans fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't do the job the first time, and someone else done the head job. So I don't know.
I checked the fluid and it doesn't have any transmissions fluid in it, but where the oil is in the water, it is thick as melassis.
Do you think I have a bad head or what?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you check the trans fluid, what color is the fluid? Is it pink and milky?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
milky
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Then that is where your mixture is coming from. The trans cooler in the radiator has failed and the trans fluid is mixing with the coolant, and the coolant is mixing in the to the transmission. so the Radiator will need to be replaced and the transmission will need to be flushed and hope the contamination does not damage it. This was most likely your issue the whole time and not the head gaskets. I have never seen engine oil leak into the coolant system. I have seen plenty of trans coolers fail and mix like you are describing. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am just giving you this as a offer if you would like to speak to me directly about this issue. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you sure, cause it looks like oil and water mixture, its has no red color, its grey milky.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Trans fluid as you get up in mileage can get dark like engine oil. Yes if the trans fluid is milky, that is coolant in the transmission that causes that. So if your getting coolant in the transmission, it makes sense that is where the oil is coming from. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!