Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Sentra: , I'm having an issue that isn't constant, but

Customer Question

Hello, I'm having an issue that isn't constant, but when it happens the Service Engine Soon light comes on. What happens is: I start the car, it trembles when in Park or Reverse, and is jumpy while in Drive. If I restart the car it's usually fine and drives smoothly, and the Service Engine Soon light is off. I've been to two mechanics. The first said to replace all 4 engine mounts (GoodYear), the second was a smaller shop that had a tech drive the car around, but of course the car drove perfectly while it was with them, haha. So I guess I need a third opinion? Thank you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! You mentioned you get a Service Engine Soon light. Do you happen to know what codes you are getting? Also is this a 1.8 engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, while at both mechanics the Service Engine Soon light wasn't on, so I don't think they got any codes. The second shop I went to said to bring it back to them if the light was on, and to keep it running when I got there. Since the light came on just yesterday, while I was on my way to work, I pulled over and restarted the car, then the light was off again. I don't know if it's a 1.8, sorry.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have a Service Engine Soon light on, and the light goes out, the codes would still be stored. Is the light on right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I haven't driven the car yet today. I leave for work at 3.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
This is what I would like you to do if you can. Look to see if you have a Auto Zone near you. If you do, the next time the light comes on, go to Auto Zone. They offer free scans as long as your not in California. If you can get the code and return back to me with it, I am sure I can give you the direct you need to resolve this issue. Do you think you can do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I can do it tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. I am normally online in the evenings around 6 or 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm. Do you think you can reply back to me with in that time with the codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I have the day off.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Perfect! Just return back to this question with the code and I will continue to help you. Talk to you tomorrow. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do! Thanks for your help today.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.. Talk to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am checking in with you since I have not heard back from you. Were you able to get the codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, AutoZone employee told me there was No Code Found, he said they clear themselves. Right after that a weird situation happened where a mobile mechanic tried to swindle me, basically saying that 3 of my 4 motor mounts need to be replaced, which is what I had said GoodYear said (I think he simply overheard me speaking with the AutoZone employee and tried to get some second-hand business out of it), but I suspect that's not the issue because my mechanic told me motor mounts are good or bad and the car would shake/seem to be on the verge of stalling all the time if it were the mounts. Long story short, no one can tell me what the deal is until the light comes on & the code can be read. A friend who knows about engines suggested that I get the cylinders checked (compression). Thanks for catching up with me. I have been busy helping a friend with some stuff and thought I missed my window to chat with you. I've never used an online service like this before. I appreciate your follow up. Thanks!! P.S. The light has come on when the problem is happening, and it has also NOT come on while the problem is happening. Supposedly, this is an important detail?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if you would be willing to do this. Code Readers are very cheap these days. You can find them online in many places. OBD2 Code Reader. Shop around and see if you can pick one up. This way, when the light comes on, you can scan it right on the spot. Is that something you think you can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. Right now, I live about 1 minute away from a shop I trust... I'll look into it. Depends on the price, really.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I understand. I need to know what code you are getting to help determine direction. These codes don't clear when the light is off, they record key cycles. Only after so many key cycles will the light go off, but the code will remain. So see if you can get me the code once the light has come on. or shortly after the light had come on.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have a smart phone, they also sell OBD2 Bluetooth readers. It plugs into the OBD2 port and you get free software that can link to it so you can read codes also. That is like 50 bucks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds good. I will try to get the code. I've been driving the car for several days now, and it hasn't acted up at all, even though I was really hoping it would.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But, I would like to ask, in your opinion should I assume it's NOT the 4 engine mounts & almost all of the fluids that need to be be replaced, as GoodYear said after charging me $49.50 for a full diagnostic? Just trying to rule that out.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it's all 4 engine mounts that would cause the issue. I have seen 2 cause a jumping. But never all 4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Well, I'll be in touch! Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You got it..