Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Nissan Sentra SER Spec V: A couple weeks ago I was drove my

Customer Question

A couple weeks ago I was drove my car about 90 miles to my college town in 100 degree weather. The car felt fine, we got to the destination and left the destination going back another 90 miles to my home town. Right after i dropped off my girlfriend i came to a stop sign and then i heard a big thump as if the car engine turned off. So I tried turning the key but the car was still on, yet the engine sounded as if it werent there. The engine sounded very quiet. I turned it off manually and waited at the stop sign for about ten seconds to turn it on again but the engine still didnt sound like it usually would. I put the car in first and stepped on the gas and the rpms didnt move at all. The car began to move forward slowly but the rpms never reached over 2000 even when i stepped on the gas pedal. Luckily my home was not too far and i managed to make it there. I parked the car and turned it off. Waited about a minute this time and turned it back on, but the car was still quiet as ever even when stepping on the gas. I turn it off and leave inside. I then tell my dad who got home 4 hours after i did and we both when to check it out. When he turned it on the car sounded normal and the engine was loud and was strong as it was before. I was so confused but as proof to my dad i showed him that the service engine light was still on. It turned on after hearing the thump noise at the stop sign. What couldve caused this? The service engine light is still on today and I am scared of driving it long distances.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
There are a number of things that would cause this, however, at this point i'm leaning towards the throttle actuator.
Would you be able to get the fault codes stored as the engine light is on? (you should be able to get this free at autozone)
did the noise come from engine bay?