Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Xterra: My 2007 Nissan Xterra has been having some electrical

Customer Question

My 2007 Nissan Xterra has been having some electrical problems that have caused the parking lights to stay on and drain the battery. The VDC and SLIP lights come on when I start the vehicle and if I do a restart that may turn them off. I put a code reader on the truck at AutoZone and for the following codes: U1000 CAN communication circuit, C1156 Steering, P1710 Transmission, Pressure, P0615 Starter Relay, P0850 Park / Neutral switch input circuit, P1610 Lock mode, P1614 Chain of immu key, P1615 Difference of key, P0463 Fuel Level sensor, P0463 fuel level sensor high input.
The fuel ones I get because of the recall for the fuel sender. The other ones baffle me. The truck runs fine if the battery doesn't die because of the lights. Help!
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a 284B7-CW29E EMC relay as a low cost alternative to replacing the IPDM in the event it was only the relay. I looked on the Xterra bulletin boards trying the assess the problem before spending $$$$ at the dealerships.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the relay while waiting. VDC light still illuminated. Slip light off.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
hey there, if you turn the key to the ON position the condensor fan comes on I assume?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. But there is something on. In the quiet of night I can hear a very light whine coming from the engine compartment, whether The vehicle is in the on position or completely off.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I say that is because of the U1000 code. This is telling us there is a communication on the CAN line system that the control units use to communicate to each other . When you see CAN issues 99% of the time it's one of things.
Either a power issue - blown fuse or link
A ground issue - dash beam grounds or engine grounds by battery
Or a control unit failure.
Usually control unit failures are not to bad to diagnose because with a CAN capable scan tool you can list all modules and see which one is not communicating. Without one it can be very tricky and you would be best served starting by checking grounds and fuses and links.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how you made out. If you need additional help let me know, if not just be sure to leave a kind rating so they credit me for my time. thanks.