Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan/Datsun Murano SL: ...i tried jumping my dead battery

Customer Question

Hi...i tried jumping my dead battery in 06 murano...at first i jumped battery to battery but cables got super hot. I then clamped black to frame and they cooled down. 9 yr old battery wouldn't take charge so i installed new one. Engine cranks but won't start. Did i burn something out?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid? Also, do you have a Remote start in your car? Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not sure if security light in on as im at work right now and no we don't have remote start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I'm home...with key in ON position the security light stays on along with several other idiot lights....as I mentioned, no remote start. also, I checked the fuel pump fuse and its not blown
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have another key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't need the key in the ignition to start to vehicle, it just has to be inside the car
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Oh, you have the I-key system. Pop the mechanical key out of the remote and see if it starts using the mechanical key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried that already...just cranks and cranks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you take the mechanical key and turn the key to the ON position the security light is still solid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, all the same idiot lites stay on whether I use key or not including security
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am looking mainly for the Security light. I need to know if that is ON Solid when the key is turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Lock%20Mode.jpg Try performing these steps with the mechanical key and let me know what happens.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck, didn't start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If the security light is ON solid, that means there is a key programming issue. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then do not try to start it, simply turn the key to the ON position. If the security light is out, then try to start it. If the light is still on Solid when you have the key in the ON position, then try the steps I provided you again. Let me know how you make out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. i'll try that
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
k.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you didn't mention it but after the 15 mins I assume I'm to hook the negative cable up before turning the key on?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes. ... Sorry, That is what I meant. After 15 mins, reconnect the negative cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
figured that, thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
No problem.. I will be waiting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope, won't start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Darn. Well what you are going to need to do is have a Mobile Locksmith come to reprogram your keys. Some how they became de-programmed. That is what the security light being solid means. It means it can't read the key. So reprogramming the keys is what will need to be done to resolve your issue. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the remote fob locks and unlocks the doors though, wouldn't that also not work if its unprogrammed?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The remote has two functions, it works like a remote to lock and unlock the doors, and it also has a separate function for starting. That function is locked out. That is why I asked if you had another key. I wanted to see if it would start with another key. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, I see.. i'll ask the wife where the extra key is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried the spare key also with no luck...no way both keys are unprogrammed
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
yeah, try the other key if you have one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
read previous response
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
That is odd. Are you trying mechanical keys as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Please try the lock mode steps again for me.. it sounds like it's in lock mode.. Also take the mechanical key and lock and unlock the drivers door and see if that helps..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will not start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Are you trying those steps 2 to 3 times?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a Test light. I would like to check some fuses..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't, I'm gonna call it a night. too frustrated
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I totally understand. I will be online again tomorrow evening if you wish to continue.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Checking in to see how you are making out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Local garage couldn't figure it out. Had it towed to Nissan dealer today. Hopefully they'll figure it out on Tuesday
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Wonder if there is a fuse or BCM issue. Please keep me posted as I would love to hear the out come! Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ... Talk to you soon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nissan dealer said they had to completely reprogram the vehicles computer. $320 later and the car is working fine
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Wow.. Better a reprogram than a control unit. Glad they got the issue resolved for you. Don't forget to rate me if you are satisfied with my help. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay