Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Nissan/Datsun Maxima: 1996 maxima won't crank

Customer Question

1996 maxima won't crank
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Is this car a Stick or Automatic? Do you have a Test light or volt meter to do some checks? Also how handy are you? Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stick,I do have a test light and volt meter very handy
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Perfect.. First thing I would like to do is check to see if the starter is getting power. Access the Gray plug to the starter, and on the harness side, put your meter to it. Then press the clutch pedal down, and turn the key and hold it in the Crank Position and let me know if you have voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well at the moment I only have a test light but I am getting voltage
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Test light will do. If your Getting voltage on the Gray wire to the starter when the key is turned to the Crank Position, and the starter does not engage. That is a Starter issue. It would be nicer to know the exact voltage. Are you getting a single click from the starter when you try to start the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand new starter did not crank. I will get voltage meter tomorrow I left it at work. Sorry I was so vague before with what I have done but so far I changed the starter, checked all relays and fuses, jumped out the clutch switch. It will start with a push start but that's about it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Lets get the volt meter and work from there. Talk to you tomorrow.