Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Titan LE: Hey Jay, Im reading through several forums

Customer Question

Hey Jay,
Im reading through several forums to try and diasgnose or fingd a solution to a similar issue as the "stuck in park or neutral" issue. My issue is that My 04 Titan will shift from park to whatever,,,but it shifts real hard, and loud, almost like it has no Tfluid in it at all. The clunk is coming from underneath. Before you ask ,,,yes it has fluid in it, lol.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Well, it's good to know we have fluid in it as a starting point! :) What we need to try to determine is if the trans is actually causing the hard shift, or if it's a rear diff or front diff. Maybe even drive shaft. At what speeds do you feel this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shifts fine while moving,,its seems to be everytime i shift from park to reverse or drive. Its really bad on an incline,,,but that comes expected somewhat. I have to depress the brake extremely hard to get it to shift easier but it still shifts into gear hard. The clunk sounds like its closer to the front.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Does it happen when you first start it? Cause when you first start the truck your Rpms are a little higher, so if you engage a gear from park, especially on a incline or decline, you may get a clunk. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its pretty much anytime i go from park to reverse, regardless of how long its been running. I know what you mean by the rpms being faster, but i dont do anything while its revved after first starting it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
This is a 4x4 correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It's a 10-4? Just kidding... .. If you can, go under the truck and grab the front drive shaft where it goes into the transfer case and shake it and see if it has play. Let me know what you find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe a 1/4" play twisting it, but back and forth (front and back) no.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am more or less looking to see if there is play in the joint. Sorry.. check the front part of the drive shaft also towards the front diff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drive shaft is solid, no movement at all, wont even twist. The front going in front diff, is only thing that moves, like i mentioned it twists maybe 1/4". As far as moving play wise its solid.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok.. If you put the truck in 4x4 high.. and you go from park to drive, see if you get the same clunk.. I am actually thinking it maybe in a the rear diff, so I want to take some of that pressure and divide it to see if it gets less or the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesnt do it nearly as bad going from park to drive, but from park straight into reverse it always does it. But i will check 4hi
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear it changing gears, but still isnt anything like when i go from park to reverse. The gear shift itself even feels like something is stopping or keeping it from going in easy. You pretty much have to pull it hard to get it into R. If i go quik from park to drive, its alot smoother. But from P to R like im going to back up its hard and loud,,,freakin annoying.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It is hard to tell with out being there. Does it sound more like the clunk is up front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it sounds like its right under neath me
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Let me think.. That sounds familiar..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still thinkin jay ????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still there jay ????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello jay ????
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am working.. I am on lunch now.. Has engine mounts and trans mounts been checked?