Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  41 years expierence on all cars and trucks to 2014
3506196

Xterra: About a week ago I made a very stupid mistake. While

Customer Question

About a week ago I made a very stupid mistake. While attempting to jump start a dead battery in my xterra in the dark, I crossed the cables. Only had it connected a few seconds when my brain kicked in and said "that was an abnormal amount of spark"... But did some damage non-the-less.
Two biggest concerns (so far) are the radio is fried (no power to it at all) and there is something wonky with the alarm.
Randomly, in the middle of the night, the horn chirps as is someone is clicking the door lock button on the remote repeatedly. And I mean repeatedly. Only thing that I've been able to do is leave the drivers door ajar to keep it from beeping over and over again.
Know of any remedies, or where to begin looking for problems?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist
you most likely blew some fuses at the least. check them with a test light to verify power.
you have a lot of computer modules on board that control many functions.
they hate voltage spikes such as voltage up the ground side when cables are crossed. hopefully there is not much damage but it sounds like the bcm, or body control module has failed, alarm module, and that may be just the start. sometimes it takes a while for the others to fail. inspect the wiring carefully around the battery and the fuse box for any damage such as melted wiring.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all the fuses on the interior fuse panel, and non of them are blown.
Is there anything I can do to disconnect the alarm or stop the horn from chirping?
there is a smart entrance control module under left side of dash by the steering column but if you disconnect that, it will disable starting. the module is most likely damaged. I would just dis connect the horn until you have that repaired or replaced. otherwise, you will or may not be able to start the truck
Roy