Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

1998 Nissan Maxima with climate control blower motor on high

Customer Question

1998 Nissan Maxima with climate control blower motor on high all of the time. We have replaced the resistor with a brand new that I bought from a Nissan dealer and still have the same problem. Is it the climate control in the dash?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.
Do you have the auto A/C with digital display, or the manual A/C with the knob for blower (off, 1, 2, 3, 4)?
And if you have the Auto A/C, when you change the setting or speed of the blower, does it change on the display? or does it stay at full? and did you try pushing the Auto button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has the digital display. When you change the fan speed, it changes on the display, but the fan stays on hi. When you turn off the climate control completely the fan stays on hi. There is a constant 12 volts to the fan and it never changes. The only way to make the fan stop is to unplug it at the fan or the resistor. It's my son's car and he is at work, I will ask about the auto button.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
With the climate control off, the fan stays on, in this case let's forget about the auto button at least for now.
since the resistor was replaced, we need to check as following:
The blower motor gets constant 12 volts positive from the fuse side. It is the negative side that gets switched on and off, from the module (auto amp) to the relay (fan control amp) and to the blower.
If there's a short to ground within these wires, it would cause this exact problem.
So i will include the diagram, along with the locations, so you check the wires from blower to auto amp and fan amp:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzT2M1YmNOQ3lYbDg/view?usp=sharing
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
Regardsm
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know what we find. Thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome!
Get back to me with your findings.