Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

XTerra: My 2005 Nissan Xterra is stuck in neutral. I can turn

Customer Question

My 2005 Nissan Xterra is stuck in neutral. I can turn it on, move the gear shift from P to D, but it will not get out on neutral according to marker on dash.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
so on the dash, the marker is always at N, even if the shifter lever moves to P, D or other?
With ignition on, without starting, the Mark is at N, no matter the actual position of the lever?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
The most likely reason for this, would be the transmission range or position switch. This is on the gearbox, the shifer cable gets from the shifter lever to it.
If the cable is good (a visual inspection at the switch, while someone is moving the selector lever will confirm), then the switch or its wiring is faulty. I will include the diagnosis details, so you can check and replace as necessary:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzVkVHSnh3dGNZSEk/view?usp=sharing
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy