Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Sentra GXE: I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE. experiencing severe

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE. experiencing severe hesitation. Runs good when first starting, but once I begin to start driving and when the engine has eventually warmed up, hesitation kicks in. While engine is still warmed and on idle, when i step on the gas pedal and the RPM's reach almost 2K RPM, it starts hesitating. Revs up then down, then up then down sort of like a fluctuation.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you have a check engine light coming on when this is happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also checked the MAF which checked out good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to check the EGR valve and see if it's disconnected or something.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
How did you check the mass sensor?The egr is electric on this model so it would usually send a code unless it was stuck openLet me know on the maf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volt meter. Four stages. Last stage with engine running. Volt meter match with acceleration pattern.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, not the best test for these but I think it's acceptable. I think I would check the converter. Maybe pull the front O2 sensor right out and see if the engine perform any better. If the converter is heating up and plugging you might get this type of issue. Also, check the fuel pressure regulator. I did have another customer on the site with about the same issue and we found the fuel pressure regulator was all plugged up, so this might be happening here as well. Same model and same year as yours. Personally hadn't ever seen it before, but I do figure it's worth an honorable mention.Far as the maf goes, if you can't get the engine to rev past 2700 rpms, it is usually the problem. I have done the volt meter testing and still found the maf to be bad when I did a fuel trim reading and watched it specifically in grams/millisecond on the scanner.Try these and let me know how you make out.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?