Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1996: 1996 Nissan Quest replaced valve cover gasket and fuel

Customer Question

1996 Nissan Quest replaced valve cover gasket and fuel lines car was running fine before this repair afterwards car barely cranks Everhthing is connected had spark & fuel
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
hey there, if the car will barely crank you have an amperage issue with the battery. Is it actually barely cranking? or will it start but then die shortly after or what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is fully charged starter is good. Disconnecting the wire from the ignition coil cranks better but won't have spark due to being un plugged not sure if lining of the distributor makes a difference I tried leaving it the same position how it was before kept adjusting it after sereral attempts
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
lining up the distributor is important for ignition timing, but won't effect the cranking. You can't re-set it till the engine is running anyways.
Have you tried using starting fluid to see if it runs for a few seconds then dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was adjusting it the other day trying to get it running had to hold the accelerator pedel to get it going ran for 30 seconds then stalled im just out of options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will give starting fluid a try when I get home
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave the starter fluid a try crank no start still I had replaced the fuel filter, valve cover gasket, the fuel & coolant hoses
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If it wouldn't fire on starting fluid then it's likely a spark issue and NOT a fuel related one at all.
Check for spark I am betting you don't have it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to check again
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
sounds good, is there anything in particular in that picture you were wanting to show me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Making Sure firing order is correct
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
looks good!