Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I am having a problem with my 2005 Nissan Quest melting the

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my 2005 Nissan Quest melting the cylinder 6 coil pack. It was changed out and the way the car drove was no better and it melted again almost immediately. The other things done/checked were cylinder 2,4,6 spark plugs were changed. The negative ground wire from the battery to the transmission was checked and cleaned of any rust. There was no visible damage to the wire. Compression was checked on the same cylinders and that was normal as well. The hoses were checked for a vacuum leak and nothing was found.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! You are not going to like this answer. But this is what causing your issue. If you follow the negative battery cable to where it mounts to the transmission, you will find that the cable is most likely broken. When this happens it builds up to much heat in the ground circuit which affects the Ecm. When the Ecm is affected it starts melting coils. So what needs to be done is to replace the negative battery cable assembly, replace the Ecm and reprogram all the keys and lastly all coils need to be replaced. That is the only way to correct this issue I am afraid. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wire to the transmission is not broken and the other coils are firing fine. If the Ecm was bad would it be causing any other problems besides only the 6th cylinder coil?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The negative battery cable mounts in two locations. One by a 10 mm bolt right by the battery tray, and a 14 mm bolt on the transmission. Did you physically check both of these connections?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was removed from the van completely and checked and cleaned. Also the battery was cleaned as well. To make sure the connection was not bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was some rust but very little.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The wires doesn't look broken or part broken where it mounts to the trans? This is what causes this. If the wire looks ok, the Ecm and all the coils still need to be replaced, but I would replace the negative battery cable to be sure that is good since that is the number one thing that causes this. The parts are expensive, the cable is the cheapest part. The high resistance to ground is what causes the problem. Does the negative battery cable still have the factory terminal end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were no breaks in the wire at all. And I don't know about the factory terminal end. Before I spend the money to change all of that is there a way to test the van to see if that truly is the problem. Each coil is $70. And I'm sure the ecm is much more expensive. Wouldn't all the coils be melted if this were the problem? Why only the 6th cylinder? And if the Ecm was bad would it cause other issues with the van? Or the coils burning up is the only sign it's bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And would you be able to see that the ecm is bad? Melted? Burnt? Wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if the wire is not bad why change the Ecm and the coils? Why would they go bad if that wire was intact?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
This issue tends to happen more with the models with the 3.5 engine. This happens on Maxima's, Altima's, Quests, and Murano's. It always comes down to that darn cable. I know the coils get costly, and the Ecm is even more costly. The circuit in the Ecm that controls the voltage to the coils is what is damaged and once the coils have been affected by it, if you replace the coils only and not the Ecm, the Ecm will start melting again. If you open the Ecm, I don't know if you would see the damage. I never opened one of them up yet to be honest. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it have been damaged by anything else? Since there is no visible damage to the wire?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
A Alternator maybe over charging affected the Ecm causing this? Hard to tell with out seeing the van. Coils melting issues are almost always due to that cable. I don't think I have ever done one that wasn't, and I have done a ton on all different models. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to check if it's deginitely the Ecm? A computer or anything? Or is it just replace it and hope it works?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you replace the Ecm and all the coils along with the Cable, you know you have the issue resolved. I would check the Alternator if that has been replaced to see what it's charging at if the cable seems to be intact and in good shape, but I would replace the cable anyway and make sure the ground contacts are clean. You certainly don't want to spend all the money on the coils to have the issue continue. Coils, Ecm and ground cable is what will ensure the issue is resolved. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!