Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I just installed a head on a 2002 Altima 2.5.now it has too

Customer Question

I just installed a head on a 2002 Altima 2.5.now it has too much crankcase pressure and smokes bad. It has 175 to 185lbs compression. also rpm is up and down on it's own
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.
Did you reuse the same valve cover?
Let me know..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Also, did it smoke like this before you did the head work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes and yes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Well you may not like some of the info I am going to share with you. But I am going to give you the complete run down on this. Ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
With these 2.5's especially the 2002 and 2003 models. They had Catt Converter problems. These engines are actually great engines, but the Catt Converters are the curse for these engines. I am going to explain why. When these cars start to show some miles, the top part of the catt converter breaks up. When this starts to happen, the debris of the catt gets sucked into the engine. One this happens it mixes with the oil and becomes like a lapping compound. In case your wondering what a Lapping Compound is, they use this to grind the metal away when seating valves into the cylinder heads. But once the valves are seated, it's clean off so it does not go into the engine. So any way.... Back to oil mixing with the catt debris.. So now you have a lapping compound type circulating through out the engine. Which starts off eating away the oil rings which gives you a oil consumption issue. Once that has happened, it only starts getting worse till it eats away the head gasket which is normally the next thing that goes. So basically once the engine has been contaminated, it's pretty much done and not worth dumping money into it. Now for your issue, I will suggest one thing. The valve cover. The PVC system channels through the valve cover and if that channel is clogged in the valve cover you will smoke and continue to consume oil. So I would recommend you start with replacing the valve cover. If that does not resolve your issue, then your oil rings is what is causing the smoke, which means you are going to need a engine. When it comes to engines, Nissan now has a Reman available that is around the same cost as some used engines. This issue is very common with the 2.5's so I don't recommend getting a used engine. You don't know if it would have the same issues already. So that is all the info and what I recommend. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!