Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Altima: Have a 2001 Altima, problem is the car jerez on acceleration

Customer Question

Have a 2001 Altima, problem is the car jerez on acceleration from dead stop. It jerks 2 or 3 times before it finally picks up speed then it seems to drive smoothly. Also when on the freeway if I accelerate to pass someone it gives me a hard jerk. As if it's stuck changing gears. What does this sound like. Read about all the problems with this year's model.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Does this only tend to happen on lower speeds? Does it idle a little ruff? Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't really say it idles rough.but my first thought was it acts like it's not getting enough fuel, especially when starting from a full stop, or slow roll to acceleration. But that doesn't explain the hard jerk on acceleration when already traveling at a good speed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if you have any codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
No you have no codes? or No you don't know if you have any codes? Service Engine Soon light is not on when the car is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Yes service engine light is on. A d no I don't have any codes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well that is where we need to start. The fact the light is on means that the computer has generated a code pointing to the fault. Do you have a auto zone near you? they offer free scans. If you can get the car scanned and return back with the codes, I am sure I can help give you direction in what needs to be done. If you live in California, they do not offer free scans. Let me know if you can do this?