Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: i have a no spark problem on a 2000 altima. got a new

Customer Question

i have a no spark problem on a 2000 altima. got a new distributor since the old one looked nasty. still no spark at the coil with a hei spark tester.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.
Did you do any type of major engine work before this issue?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did the top engine mount and the temp switch. it had been starting to run rough for a week and was getting worse. did those two things, then no start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You didn't do a Crank Sensor or anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, but i did mess that up trying to figure this out. i thought i read that the crank sensor is for ecu diagnostics since the dist does both. btw, can i just solder the wires for the crank sensor to the leads on the sensor since i broke the connector?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Oh... You did some wiring work for the crank Sensor... What color are the wires to that crank sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
black with red stripe and brown
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok... That is good. Some times the connector for the Crank Sensor can get mixed up with the coil connector to the distributor. That is where I was thinking your problem could be. I take it you disconnected the battery when you were working on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, i have. dont have the security light on when the key is on tho
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hadent disconnected the battery before the no start issue
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if you may have a after market alarm on the car which may be active causing the problem. Other wise we need to look at the Ecm operation and may require a scanner to monitor sensors. Are you the original owner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not original owner, but no alarm. i am thinking ecu also. i was not getting the 5v ref at the crank sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with key on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will check for aftermarket alarm. usually under steering collumn
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes, It's normally located under the drivers side dash. If you have one there, simply unplug the one big connector to the control unit and see if it starts.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing there
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok.. We could very well be looking at a Ecm issue. Do you have any codes right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me check, but i had disconnected the battery for a while to charge it. will it throw a code for ecu just trying to crank it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have a scan tool btw
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you had the battery disconnected longer than 10 mins, it would clear the codes. But I would simply scan it to see if it is throwing any type of hard codes right now... I am going to head home now. I will be back online in about a hour, or if you would like to accept the Additional service request, you can then call me or I call you if you like. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hour is fine. ty. i do have a camshaft pos sensor code, but this is my second new dist, since i took the first back
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
oh.. If you have a Cam Sensor code.. You are most likely dealing with a bad Distributor... If you have been getting the distributors from your local auto parts store, that could be why. After Market Electrical parts never work right. The Cam Sensor is build into the distributor and can certainly cause a no spark issue. I would get the distributor from the dealer. I know it's more money, but you won't be scratching your head and going nuts. That is what after Market parts do. If you want to talk more about this, I will be online in about an hour. If not, and your satisfied with my help, please Rating me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks JAy!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. i am going to run the full tests on the optical sensor and see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, i need to figure out this broken crank sensor connector problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes you need to figure out that and work on the Distributor issue as well. Let me know if you have any more questions on this. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i just solder the wires for the crank sensor straight to the pins on the sensor? this sensor is an ac generator?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The Crank Sensor is only a Reference. The Cam Sensor is the primary Signal. You want to maybe see if you can go to a salvage yard and snip off a connector if you can, so you can repair it the proper way. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am gonna do just that. just found 2 in a junk yard a few miles from me. TY!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.comDon't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent ServiceThanks Jay!