Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

1986 Nissan pup 200,000 miles. It was running fine and quit

Customer Question

1986 Nissan pup 200,000 miles.
It was running fine and quit . there is no spark coming out of the coil. The disburser is turning. How do I troubleshoot it?
Duke
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youwhat engine do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a 2.3 Sorry, I thought all pup's had the same engine.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Actually, you have a 2.4 engine & Yes, all your Pups had the 2.4's. Pathfinders had 3.0's. This is most commonly caused by a bad distributor. The Distributor has the Cam Sensor built into it. This sensor is the primary signal for spark and injector pulse. There is a way to check for codes manually. How handy are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I like to think I'm kinda handy, I have worked on many cars and was able to fix most of them. Give me a mission and see what happens

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/self%20check%20for%20codes%2095%20and%20older.pdf That is how you check for codes on your Ecm. Lets see what codes you have. Remember not to let it get to Mode 5.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tim,

I'm not sure we on the right page----I did not fing anything that looks like a ECM and the instructions talk about mass air flow, oxygen sensor, Throttle position sensor and injector leaks. This Pup has a carb. Here is the vin, maybe that will help JAABR14L9G0760437

Duke

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am not Tim,
I understand the info I provided talks about other sensors. But you still check for codes the same way. The service manual for your year is only in paper back and I would need to check the codes you get at work if we have the manual. I just provided you with steps to see if there is a code. I am looking for possibly a Cam Sensor code. Your truck I thought had the two injectors on top of the throttle chamber?
Vin will not help me, the truck is to old.
Please see if you can check for codes following the steps I provided and let me know what you find. The Ecm is located under the passenger seat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only thing under the seat was an empty whiskey bottle, I brought a chiltion repair manual and tried testing the system and haven't proven anything so far. the coil checked ok. I tried the 1.5 dry cell to the pick-up and got nothing but I could get no voltage out of the to wires that go to the pick-up and no voltage to the two wires that go to the coil--help

Duke

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You are most likely dealing with a Distributor issue. Coils don't really go on these trucks. Allot of people replace them thinking they are bad cause they are not producing spark. They produce spark based on the Distributor Signal. If the distributor is bad, you won't have spark. So you are dealing with a Distributor issue. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!