Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: I changed the battery it will not lock or unlock car

Customer Question

I changed the battery it will not lock or unlock car but will start it
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! What is the car doing when you try to start it? Let me know..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you find there is no power through out the car? Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have power I can start it just can't lock and unlock and set alarm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean with the remote? The remote is not working to lock and unlock the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct I have 2 remotes and neither one works. I can start the car no problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
How are you starting the car? Just jump in and press the button? or are you holding the remote over the start button to start it? Does the touch entry work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I push start it as usual no I dont have to put the remote over the start button at all. the remote is acutally in ash tray.When you say touch entry what do you mean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I need to get the remote reprogrammed?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Lets try a hard reset on the car. To do a hard reset, disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. If the remote works to start the car while in the cup holder, I think it's just a glitch in the system. Give that a try and let me know how you make out...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took it off so i will keep you posted Lord i hope this works. I dont like this
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok.let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no THAT did not work.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
wow...ok.. How many miles do you have on the car?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You changed the Remote battery correct? What is the Battery number you installed in the remote? Just wondering..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me sec I am opening now. Do you think it may be the fuses? Yes I bought a new battery for both remotes yesterday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2032 energizer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
No, I am wondering if maybe the wrong battery was installed in the remote. it should be a CR2032
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got them from Autozone so is the wrong battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry the battery was in backwards. i am retarded stressing for nothing.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Where you brought them doesn't matter. It's the battery number that matters. Pop one of the batteries out and let me know it's number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both of them work now .Thanks a bunch. maybe when I took the battery cable off it reset them both.Thanks alot
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Perfect.... 1 last thing...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
We need to reprogram the auto up feature for your windows. This is really easy, so don't fear. Let me explain. Lower each window, and one at a time, lift and hold the window switch up till the window goes up all the way. Once the window has gone up and stopped, continue to hold the window switch up for 5 seconds. Do this for each window and it will program the auto up feature. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had one question also the key that is inside my remote i can only use it for the door or glove box correct. I dont see where I can input into the car inside. Is it because I have the basic model S
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that key is for only emergency entry if the battery goes dead, and to lock the glove box Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jay you have been awesome
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I could have not been that awesome, you asked for a refund. Sorry I couldn't have been more awesome for you. Thanks Jay!