Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Quest: I have a 2005 nissan quest...when first starting out

Customer Question

I have a 2005 nissan quest...when first starting out in the morning the van "chugs" on acceleration, the TCS light comes on and the SLIP light comes on..I drive the van 1/4 mile and the van's performance begins to smooth out and just after the 1/4 mile, the engine is smooth and the van has plenty of power. I shut the van off and restart the van and the TCS and SLIP light go out and the van is good to go..I wonder if it could be the ABS whell sensor..my mechanic says it is a timing chain problem (which makes no sense due to the above described scenario) any idea? I did replace the camshaft sensor already
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Did you have a Cam Sensor code? Is that why you replaced the sensor? Also, where did you buy the sensor? Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had a cam sensor code...bought at advanced auto parts in titusville, fl....that did nothing to resolve the proble..sent the car up to my mechanic who is ASE certified and been in business for 40 years..I know him well..he is trying to tell me it is a timing chain issue..doesn't mnake sense since it does it in the morning..has all the symptoms of "bog down" on acceleration as if the van senses it is slipping..SLIP and TCS light goes on, I drive it 1/4 mile the "bog down" in performance slowly goes away and then the the van runs 100% the rest of the day..smame thing happens each morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you there??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happened???
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I stepped out at noon time to do somethings.
I replied with in 4 mins of your question and waited a couple hours for you to reply, so I stepped out.
If you had a code for a cam sensor, you are most likely dealing with a Cam Sensor issue. After Market Sensors never work right and can sometimes not set codes or if they do, it would be a intake timing code which could make you think there is something wrong with the timing chains. So the first thing you are going to want to do is replace the cam sensors with sensors from the dealer and see if that resolves your issue. That is your first step since you can't properly test with after market sensors.
here is a question I like to use as a perfect example of why not to use after market electrical parts.
http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-infiniti/8cgff-hello-i-m-getting-code-p1110-2001-infiniti-qx4.html
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had my mechanic replace the cam sensors(as you said) with OEM cam sensors bought from Titusville Nissan...that made the condition worse..prior to changing the cam sensors (remember the ones that I had placed in the van were aftermarket sensors) the van went into the TCS and Slip mode for the first 1/4 mile then cleared..the OEM ones never cleared when driving..the car stayed in slip mode..I had the aftermarked ones put back in and the van returned to what it was before..namely the car smoothoed out after 1/4 mile..now I amd into the van for another $250 with sensors I can't use that made the van operate worse that before??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
What codes do you have in the ABS system?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
That is odd that the factory Nissan Sensors would make it worse. Let me know about the ABS codes..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just took the van out again this morning..same thing..1st 3 to 5 minutes of operation the TCS and Silp light go on and the van chugs and then slowly clears out and the van then rides perfectly..there was an ABS code when I initially brought the van in to diagnose the problem, which code, I am not sure...it seems odd that the problem is only in the morning when I first start out..any further ideas??...problem now is that I do not want to be a "parts replacer" as the van will become a $ pit with no resolve...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have a TCS light on, you have to have some sort of code in the ABS system. The ABS system controls the Traction Control System. I need the codes to properly help you. Also did you have any major engine or transmission work before this some time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code is C1130 ABS and TCS code..instructions are to clean the connector at the ABS pump..I will try that
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The C1130 code is a communication between the ABS control unit and ECM is Abnormal. Could be due to a control unit or system voltage. It's a Engine Signal code. You can certainly check the connection at the control unit, but you may need to do some more. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to wait a while as the bloody ABS unit is way back on the passenger firewall and I can't reach there with the engine hot..in any event the true test will be to clean the connection and see what happens when I run the van tomorrow morning..will update you in the morning..thanks for your help
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok..let me know how you make out