Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Maxima: Dear Jay, I have 1993 Nissan with a Keyless keypad

Customer Question

Dear Jay, I have 1993 Nissan with a Keyless keypad on both the driver's side and passenger's side. Neither lights up. I can lock the car manually inside but cannot unlock it with the key without the whole car alarm going off. Sometimes the key disables the alarm and in cold weather it does not open nor disable the alarm. What could be the problem.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
The security system needs to see that the door was unlocked by the key, on both the front doors and on the trunk lock cylinders are sensors that when a link arm attached to the back of the cylinder sweeps by the sensor it disarms the security system, these little arms on the lock cylinders have a magnet on them and that's what the sensor sees, some times the sensors can be knocked off the lock cylinders or the magnets can be knocked out, the next time the alarm goes off when you open the door try unlocking the trunk to shut it off, or unlock the trunk before you get into the car after its been locked. Replacing the key pads would be a good thing to do it's nice to have them working but the sensors and magnetic sweepers should be able to disable the alarm