Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Nissan Quest: , I have a 2004 Nissan Quest 146,000 miles.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2004 Nissan Quest 146,000 miles. I had the alternator replaced this morning after the car died and was towed to Firestone. This is the second replacement within 2 years. The original lasted 9 years. I also replaced the battery, but at an Auto zone, not the Firestone that did the alternator. Immediately after replacing the battery, I noticed that the car was not idling steadly, but would seem to cycle from 600 Rpm to 1000 Rpm . The car seemed to want to lurch forward slightly when stopped in drive. Im located in Palm springs and the heat is brutal, but the car never did this before. It seems to want to cycle more like this when the AC is on I went on line looking for some answers and I came across nissans that needed to relearn the idle speed after battery replacement. I tried the reset procedure, didnt seem to make a difference. The car seems fine at speed and doesnt seem to lag with accelaration, and it seems this fast slow idle cycle isnt constant, but its still doing it. Tonight I noticed that at times the red warning lights for brake and battery seem to blink, but not stay on. They came on and stayed on maybe an hour just before the car stopped running this morning. Also, Ive noticed Im hearing a souund like a relay closing coming from the left side of the dash located behind the control toggles on that side. Ive heard this noise before, every now and then over the last year or so. Seem to cycle when i turn on the fan, but then occasionally makes a noise. i dont know it there is any relationship between this sound and the rapid idling, but Id like to know what it might be. Hope this makes some sense
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
Well that's quite a story, First I don't want to be critical of Firestone and I'm sure they did a good job of replacing your alternator but I have seen many times a problem with after market re manufactured alternators and starters that don't last long if they work at all when their put in. like you said the original alternator lasted 9 years. As for the idle raising up and down it could be related to the new alternator but that's speculative, I've never tried the idle volume learn procedure with out the Nissan equipment even with the equipment its a finicky process so if that is what's causing it I would recommend taking to a dealer to have it done. when the ac cycles on and off the throttle actuator has to compensate for the load on the engine so having the idle volume learn done is very important to get it right, its possible the battery and brake lights coming on could be a result of the idle dipping down low causing that or like I said the new alternator may have what we call an ac ripple that causes the lights to flicker on and off the relays clicking would also probably happen because of that because the voltage would drop and come back there is one called the bulb check relay that its job is to turn on the warning lights when the key is turned on to make sure the bulbs work when you turn the fan on it also has relays that come on but it also increases the electrical load and if the alternator can't keep up it could cause the clicking. I think that covered everything in your question, I would recommend taking to a dealer to have the idle checked and the idle volume learn procedure done that may take care of the idle issue. I would have them check to see if there are any recalls on the car I know there was one for the alternator in the Murano but I don't remember if it included the Quest