Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Nissan Pathfinder: My Driver's Side front wheel (1997 Nissan

Customer Question

My Driver's Side front wheel (1997 Nissan Pathfinder) "locks up" when I apply the brakes. It absolutely does not want to roll forward! I replaced the caliper and shoes, and changed/lubed the caliper pins as well. I can move it in and out of my driveway with no problem if I don't attempt to apply the brakes! What the heck?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
Sounds like the brake hose may be collapsing internally and causing it to lock up.
If you leave it a few hours or bleed it will it unlock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it "unlocks" itself after a short while; you can hear the caliper slowly releasing
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the hose is collapsing and unable to release pressure to the caliper.
Do you have ABS or no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the brake hose to no avail...
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Well that's extremely unfortunate. because if the the hard line running to the ABS module is not damaged, then the only possible culprit left is the valve in the ABS module is not releasing pressure properly. The valve is built into the actuator.