Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

Sentra: 2003 Nissan sentra cranks put dousnt start

Customer Question

2003 Nissan sentra cranks put dousnt start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order for the engine to start as I am sure you know you need good spark, proper fuel pressure, injector pulse and good compression. If you can check each one of these thing and post back with which one you are lacking we can work from there to determine the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the beginning I was getting 1 random spark, injectors also spray only once, compression is a little under 140 on all cylinders and timing components are new
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Andre,
Since the 2003 did not come with a 1.8 are you wiring it as a 2001?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the wiring is the same (2003) because the 2001 comes with more sensors, fuel lines different and a cable throttle
But this a a gxe 1.8 not an se-r 2.5
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Have you scanned the computer and if so are there any fault codes setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and not getting anycodes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you have all the sensors connected correctly then I would suspect you may have a ground issue and or some sort of connection concern but unfortunately without have any fault codes to go on I'm not sure how to advise you. I can open the question back up for you in hops someone else has done this type of engine change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine the only other thing I have found that could be my issues is when I connect the scanner and go to live data engine rpms don't move while cranking, now im pretty sure crank sensor is suppose to measure that and like i said that sensor is new but when I test the wires I am getting power and ground but not sure about signal because I'll i have is a tester light is there a way to test out this sensor
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you are not reading RPM then you are not likely getting a signal to the ECM from the crankshaft position sensor. The signal should be a square wave signal. See the steps to test it in the link below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/CKP%20jun%2030.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the signal what tool and how do I use it
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
You can do it with a lab scope or even a you AC volt meter, with your volt meter you should see a AC voltage reading while cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try that tomorrow. just to make sure I adjust the voltmeter to where it reads 12.xx when tested on the car battery, then I ground the black probe and the red probe to the center wire on the plug correct??
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Set you meter on the AC setting. The car battery setting is DC. Ground the black probe and yes place the red probe on the center wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try this this weekend , I've been busy with work, and we can go hey there
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds good. In here on Saturday. Ill be off on SUnday but back on Monday.