Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

My 2002 Nissan Sentra starts and runs ok, but not to long,

Customer Question

My 2002 Nissan Sentra starts and runs ok, but not to long, until somethink clicks next to my left foot. Later on i did find that it was Fuel Pump Relay. So looks like car starts and runs good, but when fuel pump relay begin clicks the car loosing rpms
and shuts off. The think is relay is good. Any sugestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
You will need to test with a voltmeter and see if you are loosing power and or ground to the relay on the switch side and power on the load side, once you find which if any is missing then it can be further diagnosed. If grounds and powers are there on both sides anotherwards ground is good and switch power is good telling the relay to engage, this means replace the relay if no power out and see if that first resolves the problem.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,i finaly did find reason : Fuel level sensor and fuel tank temperature sensor circuit. Do you think is this the same sensor? How do you think i can replace them?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
They are unfortunately two different units. They do require removing the fuel tank to access them. The level is on the sending unit and senses the level of the fuel. Tank temp would be registered from a sensor also on the tank itself.
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I need to drain the tank and remove it and than I'll have an access to them. How I can get a picture with their location? Is there any schematic pictures?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Yes you will need to drain the tank if there is a lot of fuel in it. I try to have them run them low however if there is say a half tank or full tank then you will first want to drain the fuel into containers so that you can easily access the tank and work on it.
Once you disconnect the tank straps you slightly lower and disconnect the pump harness and the fuel lines along with the filler neck which in some cases filler neck must be down before lowering the tank. There will be clamps on the fillerneck and vent tube that you loosen which will allow the tank neck to slide out of the fillerneck tube, in some cases you will need a hose pick to get the hose to release from the tank neck or top door neck depending which there is better access to.
Thanks again,
Joe