Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

Armada: I overfilled my armada with oil drove 100

Customer Question

I overfilled my armada with oil drove for about 100 miles engine started knocking loud on top end then started shuting down I noticed than when I added oil it would take a long time to get to oil pan as if oil veins plugged
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I'd agree that this could be clogged up oilways
what I'd suggest is to try an oil flushing treatment
these contain strong detergents and acids to break up the sludge and so wash it out
if the clogging is very bad it may need repeating and the filter should also be replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine running very smooth one mechanic said possible broke piston arm
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
not entirely sure what you mena by a piston arm as thats not common terminolgy
however if the knocking is from the top end then yes it smay be worthwhile to remove the cam covers and do a visual inspection of all parts
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i forgot to mention that when I checked oil on armada it seemed empty had just ran it 20 minutes previously so I added oil noted that it had been smoking on startup only. I now realize that oil pathway were clogged and oil staying in valve cover where you ad oil compartments. ;any ways when I went to autozone they recommended it use thicker oil and maybe slick 50 I added both did not replace filter. armada has had very poor maintenance is It possible that slick 50 and thick oil plugged oil pump reducing
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
this soudsn quite likely that the filter is clogged up and you've hten suffred a lack of oil pressure which has resulted in some damage
if the engien has been starved of oil then its very likely to be damaged beyond repair and usually replacemnet is a more economical option
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?