Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Xterra, 4wheel drive: 2002 xterra had compressor checked works

Customer Question

2002 xterra had compressor checked works fine, condenser fan works. replaced the ac relay with an Nissan reley. replaced the 7.5 ac fuse. Came on this morning worked for 60 miles and 1.5 hours. left fan set on 2, colling switch at 3/4th. turned off motor. came out 2 hrs later and compressor on , but blowing outside air temp into truck. have tried jiggling various swithches etc. truck has manual controls. what to do???
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
When the compressor is on and its not cooling we need to know what pressures are being produced it could be the compressors swash plate is stuck or broken just because the compressor clutch comes on and its turning doesn't mean its pumping and producing pressure, the pressures need to be about 30 psi or less on the low side and depending on the temperature outside anywhere from 120 psi to about 210 psi on the high side at idle. It could also have a problem with the expansion valve in the evaporator but knowing the pressures would tell us what's going on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have since replace all fuses the a/c relay. I have noticed that the system will function fully, very cold, as long as the outside temperature is below 80 degrees. I have verified this four times. Does that information lead to any ideas??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outside temperature is 82 degrees, drove xterra running a/c for 30 minutes everything is working fine. Today at noon it was 90 degrees and no cooling at all.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I still need to know what the pressures are in the system, and is the compressor clutch engaging when there is no cooling, in order to determine if there is a control problem with the system or a mechanical problem with the systems flow of freon