Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Roy. It may come as no surprise that I am the owner of a

Customer Question

Hi Roy. It may come as no surprise that I am the owner of a '98 Nissan frontier xe. She has 107k miles and the instrument cluster has, yep, a problem. The problem used to be mostly the gas and temp needles swinging wildly. That problem seems to have subsided. Now the odometer display gets dim sometimes. When it does I smack the dash in front of steering wheel with fist and the display gets sharp. I am an old navy electronics tech and if I knew what the problem is or where to look I would pull the thing out and fix it myself. Whatcha think?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hey there, these failures are fairly common on these trucks when they get up in mileage. There is not much you can do short of replacing the unit or sending it off for repair which will result in the unified meter being replaced and the eprom data being revised. Now I have heard of people swapping the transistors out and getting them to last a little longer but this is NOT fix. Let me know how else I can help.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If you need further help please let me know. If not just be sure to leave a kind rating please.