Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

QUEST: I have a 1997 Nissan Quest....it is overheating with

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Nissan Quest....it is overheating with no loss of antifreeze and no drop of fl uids on the ground........Isuspect the thermostat is closed what do you think and reccommend
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello As a very first check make sure the coolant level is correct / up to the mark onthe tank, then I'd first check that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as itshould and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine.Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to pushwater into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) andtop up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing. Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception tothis is the AC pump ( if fitted) I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly. So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked Ifthese are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from coldwith the heater set to full hot As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to helpdisplace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built intothe top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water Oncethe engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much for the expertise
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
No problem Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help ?