Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Xterra: I have an issue with my 2005 Nissan Xterra

Customer Question

I have an issue with my 2005 Nissan Xterra
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While driving to get on the freeway my car lost power out f no where and the SLIP light and VPN or something and the service engine soon light. I drove on the side of the Rd around 5-10 miles per hour till I made it to a gas station. When I got there I opened the hood turn the car off then turn back on after a good five minutes. The SLIP and VPN lights where off exept for the Service engine soon. Started driving and the car drove fine so now I want to know why this happened and how to avoid this happening again. What do I change buy or do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! The only way you would really be able to determine direction to correct this issue is to scan the truck to see what codes it has. When the computer detects a fault, it generates a code. You can have over 500 possible codes. So you want to have it scanned. If you have a Auto Zone near you, they offer free scans as long as your not in California. If you can have the truck scanned and return back with the code, I am sure I can help determine the direction of repair. If I was to guess, for the VDC and Slip light to also come on, it sounds like it could be a Cam Sensor. You have two of them. When it comes to electrical parts you always want to stick with the dealer. Do not install after market electrical parts. They never work. Let me know what codes you get so I can continue to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I will be online later this evening due to the holiday.
I will continue to help you then.
Thanks Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I posted the images of the codes I got from autozone did you get them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Codes P1102,P0615,P1705Also I drove the Xterra to Autozone drove around in it and it did the same thing same lights I turned it off for about 2/3 minutes and it drove fine.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the codes. The P0615 is a Start signal code. Which could be caused my the Park / Neutral switch built into the transmission. The P1705 is a Throttle Position Switch code, which is part of the electronic throttle chamber. The P1102 is not a good code. That is not listed as a code that applies to this truck in the factory service manual. As to what direction is needed to correct your problem. Both the two codes I shared info on, share one control unit and that is the Tcm. That is the Transmission control unit. There could be a issue with cross contamination which is causing this issue. That is when the trans cooler fails in the radiator and coolant enters the transmission. That can short out the TCM and cause codes and driving issues. I would have the trans fluid checked to see if you are dealing with cross contamination for you issue. If you are, the Radiator and transmission would need to be replaced. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the Xterra checked again and I got this code P1122. I believe that if I have the tranny and radiator problem there a law suit going for that too right. So right now I'm looking in the throttle body. What do you suggest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also how it happend I was getting on the freeway and the Xterra lost power and the slip and VDC light and service engine soon came on. I pulled off the Rd and turn the car off 5 mins later the car was fine.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
P1122 is for the Electronic Throttle Chamber Circuit. Two things can cause that code. Either a bad throttle chamber or a wiring problem. Which since you have another Throttle Position sensor code which is part of the throttle chamber, I suspect it to be a throttle chamber issue. Please keep in mind that once the throttle chamber is replaced, it needs to be electronically calibrated to the computer for proper operation. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it the relearning process
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the Calibration is the Idle Relearn.
Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any more questions on this?