Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Altima: After about an hour of driving on a road trip, my 2012

Customer Question

After about an hour of driving on a road trip, my 2012 Nissan Altima has virtually no power when going up hills. I will have the gas pedal to the floor and it will go 50 mph max. This has happened on the last three road trips. The last trip, an engine light recently came on that says " service engine soon." What could the problem be?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Is the car bucking and jerking when this is happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not at all.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, since it takes an hour before this happens, I think you may have a catalytic converter problem.As it gets hot it must be plugging up as you are driving for it to just get to this point without any jerking or bucking.That being said, if you could get it to a parts store, then they can read the check engine light and get the code. This would help me out quite a bit, but it sounds like the converter is plugging up to me. You could remove the top O2 sensor, but since you would have to drive it for an hour with it being extremely loud, so getting the code would likely be a better method.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.