Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Nissan Altima: Hihi Jay I have a 2000 Nissan Altima I got up

Customer Question

Hihi Jay I have a 2000 Nissan Altima I got up this morning and noticed my tail lights were on, that killed the battery I tried to jump stard the car. That did not work, so I replaced the battery, the engine turns over and has tried to stard but would not. do you have any idea what the problem may be I have not had any problems with the car starting before
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.
Yes, try using the mechanical key to lock and unlock the car. Try it in the drivers door. If that doesn't work, try the passenger or trunk.
As for the brake lights saying on, that is most commonly caused by a bad brake switch which is around 20 bucks and located down by the brake pedal.
Give the key in the door a try and let me know if that works. Also turn the key to the ON position and let me know if the security light is on solid. If it is, don't try to start it, return here and let me know. If the light is off, then try the key in the doors like I suggested.
Let me know how you make out.