Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2002 Altima and while replacing the AC Compressor,

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Altima and while replacing the AC Compressor, we took compressor out of box, drained shipping oil, clutch spun freely at this point. Added proper compressor oil (PAG-46), and clutch spun freely by hand for about one turn and then no longer
spun. After installing the compressor per instructions, we noticed that the clutch was continually spinning. The next morning, after starting the car, the high pressure hose blew out.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
can I ask how much compressor oil was added as this only needs to be a tiny amount ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We used 5oz of PAG-46 using the following website as a reference guide;
http://www.4s.com/Upload/Four%20Seasons/documents/Four%20Seasons%20Capacity%20Guide.pdf
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Sorry to say that I think that you may have added too much oil
the procedure I have is :
add 2 ounces of oil to the compressor.
Then reinstall the port plugs that came on the new compressor and turn the clutch by hand 10-15 times to lubricate the compressor.
Add 1 furhter ounce of oil to the receiver/drier.
Your system holds 22ounces of refrigerant. The kits do come with a low pressure gauge on the hose. Low pressure reading should be 30-35psi for a full charge.
The only other thing to add is to make sure to use PAG oil to lubricate the new O-rings for the compressor and receiver drier when install them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do you think the extra oil we added is causing the clutch to continuously spin and was the cause of the high pressure hose burst? Also, regardless of the oil being the cause, is the compressor still usable or will it need to be replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide a list or website for the amount of refrigerant and oil to be used on this car?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I think the excess oil will be overloading the compressor and locking it up and also producing excess pressure
hopefully you can drain the oil right off and try it again
I don't have a website reference just my own records, which I quoted in my earlier reply
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,
Unfortunately I think we do. We noticed that after we reinstalled the compressor using the specs you provided, the clutch would still spin so long as the car was running. When we unplugged the power to the compressor, the clutch would stop spinning. We didn't catch this until after the high pressure hose blew out and have since replaced it, but I was wondering if the clutch is SUPPOSED to be spinning all the time, or just when the compressor kicks on. What is normal for a stock 02 Altima compressor to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide the location of the high pressure indicator also?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
the clutched pulley should only spin when the compressor kicks in so this sounds like there is a fault with the control switch / control unit as the compressor should kick on and off with the AC being turned on & off
the high pressure fill point is shown as the service valve here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FixUrNissan/2010-03-27_163522_2005_2.5_AC_hoses_layout.jpg
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should there be power to the AC compressor even when the car is off? We tested the wire to the compressor without the key in the ignition and it was live.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello thats not rightwith the ignition off the compressor clutch should be off, so either there's a wiring fault or the control unit is faulty
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we do. What we think we have figured out is there is a short somewhere from the AC Compressor relay, toward the battery. Are you able to provide a wiring diagram from the AC Compressor connector all the way back to the battery so we can see where all it touches so we can start troubleshooting those areas please?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't have that information I'll opt out to allow another expert to try and help
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can supply you with that information you are requesting. I just need to know if you have Auto or Manual air? Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay, the car has Manual Air.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20MTC.pdf
That link is the wiring diagram you requested.
Thanks Jay!