Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Titan: Nissan Titan start then dies 6 or 7 times then run fine

Customer Question

Nissan Titan start then dies 6 or 7 times then run fine rest of the day no codes set. It takes a little longer to start the first time and when it dies the SES light comes on for a second and then dead . Starts right back up and does the same thing again. I have replaced the IPDM and cam shaft sensor
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
Did you replace the cam sensor at the heads or the crank sensor at the transmission?
Have you checked fuel pressure when this happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced cam sensor at the heads and there is no port to check fuel pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should'nt it set a code if it was a crank sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might add why would the SES light flash on just before it dies and I have changed to my spare key that does not help either
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
I didn't necessarily think it was the crank sensor, but wanted to make sure you didn't change the wrong sensor. Believe it or not ALOT of people do that on these trucks. They will install a cam sensor in the crank sensor location and compound their problems because the sensors look identical but are different.
Now the fuel rail DOES NOT have a test port, that is correct. You need to use a T-rail fitting at the feed line to check the fuel pressure.
Generally a flashing SES light is consistent with a faulty IPDM or ECM relay, but I completely bypassed that suggestion since you said you replaced the IPDM already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and bought it from a dealer new I will see if I can locate a T rail adapter to test fuel pressure I also put new battery connectors.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way what should the fuel pressure be on it?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
51 psi at idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok fuel pressure is 51 at idle so what is next
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Did the truck start when you cranked it with 51 psi?
or did it start and die and remain at 51psi?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started and ran
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also unpluged sensors and start it up and it will set a code for that sensor. I am not sure that I made myself clear when it starts and runs anywhere from 5 to 40 seconds the SES light comes on for just a breif half second and it dies it does not flash except when I am cranking on it to start first thing
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Well your tests aren't going to tell you anything when it's running fine.
The test has to be performed when it's not starting and dying. It's obviously going to be on when it's starting and running normally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not disagree however I have done all of those test both when it was running fine and when it would not start now and I also went back and retested the fuel pressure when it would not start and it is still 51 PSI when it dies it holds at 51PSI
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** case more than likely a spark issue, which is most concerning now since you get the flashing engine light and already have a new IPDM.
Do you have a scope to look a the cam/crank sensor wave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have one is there a way to test with an ohm meter? Maybe take them out and cool them off in a refrigerator and check I know I am grasping at straws here but this is getting hard to deal with.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I certainly understand your frustration here.
Unfortunately, being a hall IC sensor we need to watch the reference wave to verify the signals are good.
Assuming you have injector pulse (which is almost certain unless the security light is on) then it's safe to assume your having a spark issue here. Since it's so intermittent, that's why its so unbelievably difficult to test.
Not a lot of things that will cause spark loss on these trucks though when you have power to the coils other than the reference signals we mentioned or an ECM failure. Now if you were losing power at the coils that would be an IPDM issue which is unlikely considering you just replaced yours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will see if I can find a shop to test these for me.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how you make out.
If you have more questions later just ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something new that I had not seen before after I got to work 3 hours later I went out and started my truck to leave and I look down and the security light is on. I drove it a couple of blocks shut it off and when I come out and start it no light it ran fine both with the light on and after.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
The security light FLASHING with the door open or key in ignition at OFF position. As long as the security light is not on SOLID, with the key in ON position your ok. That would be a key issue and cut injector pulse. The car would not run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It flashes when it isoff but it was on solid when I drove it
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
any SOLID security light is an immobilizer issue. What's weird is you say the truck starts before you get the light. That may be because ECM/BCM verification is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you could be right when I took it down and had someone check it with a shop computer they got deep enough that it said there had been a communication error to the ECM and transmission but no details as to why or when and still did not set a code. Any thoughts on how to repair?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
was there a communication code? a U code? or did they just say it was a communication issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just said it was a comunication error
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
yea that doesn't help me too much. but the immobilizer itself wouldn't cause stalling only a no start. It has to be a communication issue to have the light on like that and it start. Primarily with the BCM and ECM.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If you need further help please let me know.
If not please be sure to leave a kind rating.
thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hake it looked like we had come to an inpass on my issue. And I was not satisfied with the answers I was getting and I know you can only help qith what information yo receive. So I no longer own that pickup.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Ok