sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Murano: 2004 Murano. revs up to 3K-4K RPM on small hills, and

Customer Question

2004 Murano. revs up to 3K-4K RPM on small hills, and has extreme power loss when you floor the accelerator pedal. One code shows for low idle speed. I'm thinking throttle body needs replaced, but an exhaust shop told me it might be the CVT. Thoughts?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If there aren't any transmission related codes setting then I wouldn't suspect the transmission at this point. Depending on the size of the hill and the throttle angle it isn't at all out of the question for RPM's to go to 3-4,000. If engine speed is climbing higher than it used to when climbing the same hills then low engine power is more likely than a transmission issue. If engine power is low then the throttle will be open further which will cause the trans ratio to go higher, just like an upshift on an automatic trans is delayed to a higher RPM under harder acceleration. I would investigate the low engine power first. An extreme loss of power with no related codes setting is often caused by low fuel pressure or an exhaust restriction.