Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 99 Nissan maxima that want start because the alarm

Customer Question

I have a 99 Nissan maxima that want start because the alarm is activated I think. I would like to disable the alarm but can not find the fuse.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no cranking at all there is a clicking sound coming from the interior fuse panel
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would like to have you try a jump start if possible. Please leave the donor car on your car for 15 minutes, then see if the engine will crank. I am only asking because I have seen this issue many times and it turned out to be a drained battery which seemed like it should have enough power but doesn't. So please, try this and let me know if there is any change at all.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that the lights and everything comes on fine. Just need to know how to disable the factory alarm system. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sadly it's not as simple as pulling a fuse. All of the door locks, the hood and trunk all send signals to the body control module to turn the system on and off. Try closing it up and locking all the doors using the driver side main switch. This includes the trunk and hood. Lock it and close the drivers side door. Then wait min 30 seconds and unlock the car with the key. Wait 30 more before opening the door, then go ahead and try to start it. This should disable the factory alarm. If not, please let me know.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill tried this and text u back. would if I disconnect the battery will that work as well to reset the system?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Disconnecting the battery will not reset the factory system, however the headlights and horns should be blowing if it's the problem. This is why I think it's important to try the jump start as well.The car can have enough power to run 12 volt stuff and not enough power to crank the engine. Also, oddly enough when I am looking at the wiring diagram for the starting system it's not showing any type of alarm relay to disable the starting. This is why I am leaning towards the battery being the issue here.Wish it was as simple as pulling a fuse, but the body control module uses signals from all over the place to actually make the system work.