Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: My 1994 Altima just started making a loud humming noise

Customer Question

My 1994 Altima just started making a loud humming noise when I start the engine. The noise increases with acceleration
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Most common thing I have seen cause a humming noise is a Alternator idler pulley. What you normally do to isolate the issue is remove all drive belts and start the car and see if the noise is gone. If it's gone, then you have isolated the issue to something along the drive belt configuration. Like a pulley, or a Alternator, or Compressor or something. This way once you have isolated the noise, you can then find what pulley or component is making the noise.
Here is a video which shows how to remove the drive belts, it also shows how to replace the front crank seal also if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KvyRNvz_A
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!