Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have an 03 frontier a/c works but it squeals at the clutch.

Customer Question

I have an 03 frontier a/c works but it squeals at the clutch. Turn it off and the noise stops. Can I replace the clutch only? Thks.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
is it squealing the whole time the clutch is engaged? or just when it first locks up?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
if it only squeals when the clutch is engaging you may consider it just being the belt slipping because it's worn or loose. If you get a more continuous or consistent squeal the it could be related to the clutch or pulley.
You CAN replace just the clutch assembly, but we don't do many of those unless the customer specifically requests it. The reason being is it takes longer so the increased labor time loses some of the savings you get versus just replacing the unit and the shaft is known to break on the removal process sometimes.
You CAN certainly replace just the clutch though if your doing it yourself then the extra labor issue is not a problem.
Let me know what other questions you have please.