peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Pathfinder: We recently had a electrical fire after an engine

Customer Question

We recently had a electrical fire after an engine swap in a 1988 Pathfinder. We found the short to be in the alternator wires. Since replacing them, we now don't have dash or turn signal lights. The emergency flashers work and the head tail lights work. No break lights either. Any suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect and make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels.If these are all found to be o.k. check over all other engine wiring and electrical connections for any shorts.If a fault is found with the wiring or wiring connections this will need to be repaired to resolve this issue here.
If this is all found to be o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked the fuses and my questions is where we should be looking for the short. It seems like it is from the fuse box towards the rear. Is there a wire that controls the tack, spedo, and gas gage? Yet the dash lights work. And what about the wires for the break lights? The lights themselves work. We can turn on the headlights and tail lights but the turn signals don't work and neither do the brake lights. Yet they work if we put the hazard lights on. Can you send a diagram of the wiring pointing out the two areas where these are wired in starting from the fuse box?
Unfortunately my info isn't showing me exact diagrams on this model here.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete