Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Maxima: 2k9 Nissan Maxima P0024 code 172k miles, car runs

Customer Question

2k9 Nissan Maxima P0024 code
172k miles, car runs great, just had oil changed
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Did you have this code before or after you had the oil change done?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

before the oil was changed...understood that it could be caused by dirty oil so I changed the oil, cleared the code with my scanner, code came back next day

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I understand you just had the oil changed, how is the oil level? Do you know how to check it? It's kind of tricky.
Low oil level can cause this. Other wise a scanner will be required to monitor intake timing operation to see if it's a back timing cover gasket issue which would require the front of the engine to come apart to replace a gasket.
Let me know..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uih27KiKMo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oil level is fine; car is performing no issues; I am sure it is just a sensor. The question is bank B is which sensor? Front or back? And the sensors are located under the intake on the engine?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It's not as simple as a sensor I am afraid. There is no sensor for the Exhaust Valve timing operation. It's controlled based on intake timing operation which is controlled by oil pressure. There is a gasket on the back side of the timing cover that fails and causes a internal oil leak. This lowers the oil pressure to the intake timing operation and can cause this code.
If the oil level is fine, then this is going to be much more involved I am afraid.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!