internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

Nissan Altima: My 2003 Nissan Altima has 160,000 miles and

Customer Question

My 2003 Nissan Altima has 160,000 miles and burns oil, approximately one quart needed with each tank of gas, it is increasing slowly, it was about 1 quart every two tanks of gas 6 months ago. There is no obvious leak. Otherwise runs well.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.
The engine is burning engine oil internally. The oil is seeping through the piston rings inside the chamber. The job to fix this problem is very expensive. You are looking at near $2000. At this point you should try to use thicker oil like 10w-30 it might slow down the burning. Your tech is right. It will be cheaper to add oil than rebuilding the engine.