Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Maxima: i was reading ur post on the blower motor for the

Customer Question

i was reading ur post on the blower motor for the 02 maxima
. mine stopped working while I was out of the car. I had the a/c on recirculate and wasnt paying attention. there were a few plastic bags on the passenger flooor. i got out of the car and wife said a/c started making weird noises then stopped. checked voltage to blower motor and both leads appear to have 12 volts while one is higher then the other. kind of weird
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Does the car have auto climate control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does and glove box has been removed and I removed blower. blower wheel seems kind of stiff
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it sounds like it's possible the motor is the problem. The way we can test it is to run a positive wire and a negative wire right off the battery to the pins on the motor. Be careful when doing this because if the motor spins, it will cut you, but if you can do this we can determine if it's the problem or if we need to continue to diagnose the problem.Please give it a try and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blower turned when i connected straight to battery
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, you mentioned a voltage difference on the wires at the blower, can you tell me what the voltages were and if they changed at different fan settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The white wire has a constant 14.2volts. the blue wire with white tracer has 13.8v at low fan setting and increases to 13.9 volts at high setting. Not really sure why both wires are carrying a voltage. Shouldnt one be negative and one be positive. Tests were performed with black lead on meter grounded to chassis.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, to answer your question, one is the ground, it should show a varying voltage because of fan speed. It looks like the you need the fan control amp. This is mounted in the heater box on the car behind the glove box. You should be able to see it, if I remember right, it should look like a square connector with 4 wires on it. This is what controls the blower speed. Since we know the blower is good, it appears the fan amp is not doing it's job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed it this morning and that fixed it thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, please let me know if you need anything else.Please be sure to take the time to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I replaced the part you mentioned which I believe is also called the the blower resistor. It worked fine initially. Then last night the fan speed started fluctuating and now it wont turn off. If I turn the climate control to off where screen is black the blower is still running. When the unit is on changing the fan speed does nothing. I also hear the fan speed changing speeds randomly when the unit is off. Could this be a defective part? I did get it at autozone since the local nissan dealer was closed. The unit I replaced is held on with 2 phillips screws and is white.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you replaced the proper part I am sending along a diagram. It is possible it's defective because it was working originally. I don't always trust the aftermarket stuff to function properly and if the motor would not turn off at all it indicates it shorted to ground.