Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My engine is not starting, the car is on. I am stuck at the

Customer Question

My engine is not starting, the car is on. I am stuck at the parking lot. I can not turn the car off either.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, how long did you leave the donor car on your car for before trying to start your car?Do you hear any sound at all when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no sound when I press the start button, or no change.
What does it mean the doner car ?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
The donor car would be the car you used to jump start your car.Make sure your car is securely in the park position and I would allow the other car some time, 15 minutes or so to charge the battery on your car.No sound at all usually indicates something happening with the park position switch so you may want to try starting the car in neutral as well.Please try this and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem is not w/ the jump start. The car does not need to jump start at this point as electricity is on but engine is not starting w/ by pushing the brake and the start button. Your answer is not relevant to my question at all
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
When you press the start button to start your car, do you hear a single click out side the car by any chance?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not hear any sound when I push on the start button.
However the information light that says press brake and start button to start the car shows. Little red brake light shows and the little red battery indicator shows along w/ the beep sound in the car. So the car is on. That means ax and radio can function, windows can be pull down etc. But whenever I keep pressing the start button I can not turn off the car also when I press the start button w/ the brake the engine does not start.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have anyone with you? Any way you can see if the brake lights are coming on when you step on the brake pedal?
I am thinking maybe the brake switch is your issue. If it does not see the signal that you are stepping on the brake pedal which comes from the brake switch, the ignition would simply only be able to be turned on and off and will not allow the engine to turn over.
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we push the brake, the brake lights come on. Seem like the break is fine.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Take the remote, and where the Nissan Logo is located on the top of the remote, Place that over the start button and press on the brake and start button while it's over it and see if it starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried, it didn't start, thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Last trick I have for you. Other wise a scanner is going to be required.
press the start button two times with out stepping on the brake pedal. This will turn the ignition ON.. Shift the car into neutral, while foot is on the brake pedal press the start button again and see if it starts.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, didn't work, thanks for your effort, I will get my car towed to Nissan now
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I could not be more helpful. Just went through all that we could to get you going.
If you have less than 36k miles, your basic warranty would cover the cost of towing and repair if required.
Thanks Jay!