Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Murano: Jay,My wife's car has intermittent problems not

Customer Question

Jay,
My wife's car has intermittent problems not starting. I have taken the car in to Nissan multiple times over the past 2 years thinking it was the battery, but each time, im told the battery is fine. If the car sits for a few days it doesn't start. Once we get it going, it will run fine for a few months. We also experience a non-operational trunk. It will not open manually, or with the key. Upon my last visit to Nissan, the trunk happened to work (Of course). Are they related? Is this a common issue with this model?
Please help!!
Thanks,
Dane
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
It sounds like you may have a electrical draw. It's not common for these cars. Was this car ever in a accident? Particularly in the back?
Let me know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No accidents at all from purchasing the car
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a Volt Meter? How handy are you?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty handy. I have a fluke meter
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!! That is all you need to see if you have a draw.
Can we continue this later this evening.. Say around 7 EST? That is when I will be online and be online till 10 or 11 pm.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Thamks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for waiting.
What I would like you to do is disconnect the negative battery cable and attach your meter in line with the battery and have it set on Amps. So it will look like this
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Voltage%20drop.jpg
After you set your meter up like this, then you need to wait around a 1/2 hour or so for the BCM to go to sleep to actually see the draw you have.
Let me know what you find.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Checking in to see if you were able to do that draw test?