EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I HAVE A 2004 NISSAN SENTRA WITH 135K MILES. CURRENTLY IT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2004 NISSAN SENTRA WITH 135K MILES. CURRENTLY IT LOPES WHILE IDILING AND THE TOP RPM IT WILL DO IS 2500. THE SYMPTONS STARTED WITH ;A CODE SAYING THAT THE #1 CYLINDER WAS NOT FIRING.TO DATE I HAVE REPLACED ALL THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE PLUG CONNECTOR/BOOSTER.
AFTER THAT IT STILL IDLED ROUGH AND SMOKED LIKE A TRAIN. I RECENTLY INSTALLED A NEW VAPOR CANISTER AND IT SMOOTHED OUT CONCIDERABLY WITH NO VISABLY SMOKE. THE TIMING BELT WAS REPLACE ABOUT 5000 MILES AGO.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Usually when the rpms become limited, it is do to a plugged exhaust. A plugged cat converter will also cause misfire codes. I think you should remove the cat converter and then drive the car and see if it goes better. Please respond with your further questions or comments. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE NOT REPLACED THE CONVERTOR AS YET. ORDERED BUT NOT PICKED UP. WILL GET IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AND LET YOU KNOW.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I REPLACED THE CONVERTOR THIS WEEKEND AND IT RUNS SLIGHTY BETTER. IT STILL LOPES AT IDLE AND AT 2000 RPM'S OR SO.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You need to check for vacuum leaks and/or the fuel pressure. Too high of fuel pressure can cause smoking out the exhaust.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the range for the fuel pressure and whats the best method for finding vacuum leaks?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am sorry I did not respond. Your response came after the question timed out. If you rate the question it will stay open indefinitly. Do you still need help?