Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

Hey tom, I have a 2008 Nissan Altima with 133mi. I have this

Customer Question

hey tom, I have a 2008 Nissan Altima with 133mi. I have this rattling sound coming fro beneath the engine. I took the vehicle to trhe Nissan dealer paid the $125, to find the problem. they stated that they could not find the problem. once I drove the car off the lot the noise came back. I has another shop that checked the heat shields and they said they could find anything, and charged me $200. Now Im at the end of my rope, can you help me? I hear the sound when Im on a in line and sometimes on decline but not often the sound comes and goes away and is some what quite loud.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
I see that you question has been sitting for a while and nobody has taken it yet, I will try to help you.
I sounds like you have one of those difficult noises to verify and so makes it hard to diagnose. if also seems that the engine needs to be under a certain load either up hill or down hill to make the noise. I assuming your Altima is a 2.5 engine which is the 4 cylinder, I have come across a few of those where the exhaust head pipe will make a buzzing/rattling noise on acceleration going up hill and its a matter of getting it hot enough to make it happen. I think the best thing for you to do is when the noise is happening take it back to the dealer and go for a road test with a tech to demonstrate the noise. Once they have heard the noise they will probably be able to identify what is it and estimate an accurate repair price. since they already charged you for nothing they should be willing to go for a ride to find the problem. I go on road tests with customers all the time because its the only way to make sure your fixing the right noise.