Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Pathfinder: we have 2011 pathfinder , every time have oil changed

Customer Question

we have 2011 pathfinder , every time have oil changed get between 10 to 13 miles per gallon instead of the 18 plus , no one seems to know why?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
Please clarify? You are saying that immediately after an oil change your fuel mileage decreases? If so for how long?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
varies . sometimes get better mileage after using on road trip on highway, then will stay better till next oil change,
once took back to dealership , and they said did nothing to it, however got better mileage. we figured something gets bumped or loose when they do oil change?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Are you using the display to gauge the MPG?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it says mileage available ,say we just put in fuel and says have 265 miles to go on a full tank . right now says average 13.5 miles per gallon.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am very familiar with the miles till empty and avg mileage settings on the display.!
The only problem with using that for an accurate mileage calculator is that it's using a lot of previously averaged data with the current driving habits to give you an idea of the mileage your getting. The fluctuating one reads engine vacuum to give you an idea of your current expected mileag.
I would bet that when you notice the mileage on the display is showing poor mileage, it's because either the car has been idling for an extended period of time or recently been driven in a lot of stop n go traffic. You can clear the average mileage data in a regular basis to get a more accurate current reading.
The only thing on an oil change that would effect your mileage would be if they used a heavier oil like 10w-30 instead of the recommended 5w-30.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cycled the Display several times when I fill up. still showing poor mileage each time since the 30,000 mile check up and oil change. I will check with dealership to see what oil was used last time.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If the dealership is doing the service than I am certain they are using the proper 5w-30 oil. it's the quick lubes and stuff that USE THE WRONG OIL. The best thing to do at the moment would be to calculate your actual mileage on the next tank of fuel. You simply zero your trip meter or record your mileage at the next fill up. Then once you deplete the tank of gas you fill up again. Use the gallons required to fill the tank and divide it against the miles you drove on that tank to get a mile per gallon average. If that matches your display and proves that the mileage is poor. Then we need to inspect the air filter and replace it if necessary and verify all tire pressures are correct. If all checks out then we need to hook up a scan tool to evaluate live data and make sure your fuel trims are accurate and you don't have improper metering causing excessive fuel usage.